Founding Head & Professor,
Programme Director, Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Art and Design
Programme Director, Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Cultural and Creative Industries
Department of Art and Design
Tel : (852) 3963 5335
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor Desmond Hui is Professor and Head of Department of Art and Design at The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong. He obtained his Bachelor of Architecture from Cornell University; then Master and Doctor of Philosophy in History of Art and Architecture from the University of Cambridge. A registered architect in both Hong Kong and Canada, he has held Visiting, Honorary and Adjunct Professorship in Mainland China and Hong Kong.
Formerly he was Associate Dean of Arts and Professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He taught architecture previously at the University of Hong Kong and was Director of the Centre for Cultural Policy Research at HKU. He has served on various international advisory committees including Expert Advisor to UNESCO and British Council on cultural and creative industries and is member of the International Committee of Architectural Critics (CICA). He was Guest Scholar at the Canadian Center for Architecture (CCA) in 1998 and Research Fellow of St Edmund’s College, University of Cambridge 1989-90.
He is Chief Author and Editor of several government / public studies related to arts and cultural policy in Hong Kong including the Baseline Study on HK’s Creative Industries (2003), A Study on Creativity Index (2005), Study on the Relationship between the Pearl River Delta and Hong Kong’s Creative Industries (2006) and Mapping Study of Creative Clusters in Hong Kong (2010 & 2015). He was selected as Lead Curator for the 11th International Architecture Exhibition of Venice Biennale Hong Kong Pavilion in 2008 and Co-Curator in 2012.
Professor Hui has served as appointed member of the Antiquities Advisory Board, Commission on Strategic Development and Non-Executive Director of the Urban Renewal Authority and is at present member of Country and Marine Parks Board, Advisory Committee on Built Heritage Conservation as well as Museum Expert Advisor to the Hong Kong Government.
From 2015-18, he was one of 43 international experts for the UNESCO expert facility of the 2005 Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions and was engaged as International Expert in Mongolia. From 2017-19, he was member of the Expert Group for the UNESCO Culture/2030 Indicators project now implemented as pilot in a number of countries and cities and he has been appointed as Regional Expert for the Philippines and Baguio City from 2021-22. He also serves on the editorial advisory board of Arts and the Market and reviewer for Habitat International and Journal of Urban Planning and Development.
Inter-Relationships of Culture, Art, Architecture, Economy and Policies through an Interdisciplinary Approach in Arts & Humanities and Social Sciences
- First Co-author with Charmaine Hui (2016)《香港文化创意产业2013-14年发展概况》“Development of Cultural Industries in HK 2013-14”, in 《中国文化产业年鉴 2014》 Annual Report of Cultural Industries in China 2014. 北京: 光明日報出版社，頁 320 -327。Beijing: Communication University of China (pp. 320-327)”, 光明日報出版社.
- 《移动互联时代的文化创意聚集》 “Creative Clustering in the Age of Mobile Network and Digitalization” 文化科技蓝皮书Blue Book of Culture and Technology – 《文化科技创新发展报告》 Annual Report of Culture and Technology Innovative Development, Social Sciences Academic Press (China), B3: 32-44, 2015
- “The ‘Côte d’Azur’ of China: a model of creative economy for Macau” in International Journal of Cultural and Creative Industries(October): 46-53, 2013
- Hui, A. N. N., Yeung, D. Y. , Sue-Chan, C., Chan, K., Hui, D. C. K., & Cheng, S. T. (2013). “Gains and Losses in Creative Personality as Perceived by Adults Across the Lifespan” in Developmental Psychology. doi/10.1037/a0034168
- “Cultural and Creative Clusters in China” in Creative Economy Report 2010 – United Nations/UNDP & UNCTAD: 17
- “Conservation and Revitalization”, 21st Century, Institute of Chinese Studies, CUHK Vol. 114, August, 2009: 93-102
- “Image – Text”,Communication and Society, CUHK & HKBU, Vol. 8, 2009: 157-167
- “Cultural and Creative Clusters in China” in Creative Economy Report 2008 – United Nations/UNDP & UNCTAD: 21
- “Eine neue Identität – eine andere Architektur?” Bauwelt07, September 21, 2007: 42-49 (in German)
- “Reflections on Cultural Industry Parks and Clusters in HK and the Pearl River Delta,”Shenzhen Cultural Studies Journal, 2nd Vol., 2007, 59-65
- “From Cultural to Creative Industries – Strategies for Chaoyang District, Beijing” International Journal of Cultural Studies, Vol. 9 (3), London: Sage Publishers, 2006.
- “The Centers for Cultural Policy Research” Nordisk Kulturpolitisk Tidskrift [The Nordic Journal of Cultural Policy], Denmark 2/2005: 165-170
- “Mapping the Creative Sector in HK” International Seminar on Urban Form: The Planned City? Attilio Petruccioli et al. ed. Vol. 3, Bari: Uniongrafica Corcelli Editrice, 2003: 1141-1145
- “On Hong Kong Architecture.” (in Japanese) Asia Forum Quarterly Magazine,83/84 Tokyo, 1997: 8-11
- “Pavilion architecture in Chinese literature and Heidegger’s philosophy of dwelling” Jianzhushi 53, Beijing: Chinese Architectural Press, 1993: 69-71; First co-author (major) with Kenny Ng Kwok Kwan (Research Assistant)
- “A Royal Vision of Hong Kong?”The Architects’ Journal, London, November 8, 1989: 97
- Desmond Hui ed. (2019), AR Awakening: X-Realities of Hong Kong Layering, HK: MCCM Creations.
- Desmond Hui (2019), ““Bamboo Forest: Exploring the Aesthetics of Augmented Reality.” AR Awakening: X-Realities of Hong Kong Layering. MCCM Creations. Hong Kong, 2019: 12-21.”, HK: MCCM Creations.
- Desmond Hui (2018), ““Hong Kong as Sponge City.” Paper in Art and Culture for Flood Prevention. Francesca Muzzillo ed. Napoli: La Scuola di Pitagora Publisher, December, 2018: 89-97.”, Napoli: La Scuola di Pitagora Publisher
- Desmond Hui (2018), ““Revitalizing Public Housing as Heritage.” The Planning and Management of Responsible Urban Heritage Destinations in Asia. Richard Engelhardt and Walter Jamieson ed. London, UK: Goodfellow Publishers, November, 2018.”, London, UK: Goodfellow Publishers
- 《城市後空間與國家身份: 香港故宮博物館的定位與經營》世界城市文化上海论坛2017, ”一带一路”: 城市空间新格局, 文化发展新动力. 荣跃明，黄昌勇主编. 上海人民出版社, 上海書店出版社, 2017: 156-158.”, 上海人民出版社, 上海書店出版社
- “文化如何融入可持续发展? 对联合国教科文组织2005年公约和2030年可持续发展议程的回顧 “How Is Culture integrated in Sustainable Development? A Review of the UNESCO 2005 Convention and the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.” 中国城市文化报告Chinese Cities Culture Report 2017. Shanghai: Tongji Uni”, Shanghai: Tongji University Press
- 《香港文化可持續發展個案研究: 「大館 – 中區警署活化計劃」》”A Cast Study on Hong Kong’s Cultural Sustainable Development: Tai Kwun – Central Police Station Revitalization Project.” 中国城市文化报告Chinese Cities Culture Report 2017. Shanghai: Tongji University Press, 2017: 231-237.”, 上海人民出版社, 上海書店出版社
- “The Dancing Column: Critique of Building as Critique of Culture and Development”, in Critical Juncture: Joseph Rykwert’s Royal Gold Medal and CICA Symposium, Louise Noelle & Sara Topelson de Grinberg ed., Dirección de Educación Continua, Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico, Docomomo/ Mexico: 131-135, 2014
- “The Royal Road Revisited: on transformation of Queen’s Road in Hong Kong” with Ken Too, in On Asian Streets and Public Space, Heng Chye Kiang & Low Boon Liang with Hee Limin, Ridge Books, Singapore: 51-60, 2010
- “The Virtue of Babel: the HK Residential Towers”, Content 5: Skyplane, University of New South Wales Press, 2009: 84-95
- Book review of Development of Creative Industries in China(Zhongguo chuangyichangye fazhan baogao) by Jingcheng Zhang, Beijing, China Economy Publications, 2008, in Chinese Journal of Communication Vol 2 No 1 March 2009, Routledge: 111-113.
- “Creative Industries and Entrepreneurship in East and Southeast Asia.” Entrepreneurship in the Creative Industries – an international perspective. Colette Henry ed. Cheltenham, UK, Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publisher: 9-29, 2007
- Chinese Translation of On Adam’s House in Paradiseby Joseph Rykwert Translator-Editor. Beijing: Chinese Architectural Press, 2006
- Soul of the City. Proceedings of International Symposium on Art and Public Space. Chief Editor. HK: HK Arts Centre, 2004
- “On Data Collection for Cultural Industries in Asia and the Pacific” The 2nd International Forum on China Cultural Industry Paper Anthology. Beijing: People’s Daily Publisher: 136-151, 2004
- “The Prospects of the ‘Hong Kong Art Biennial’” Hong Kong Art Biennial Exhibition 2003, by the HK Museum of Art, the Leisure and Cultural Services Department, HK, 2003: 28-38
- “Ephemeral Permanence / Vergänglich Unvergängliches.” Festival of Vision: Hong Kong in Berlin. Berlin: Haus der Kulturen der Welt, 2000: 52-55, 116-120
- The Culture of Space: Anthology of Architectural Critiques Hong Kong: Youth Literary Book Store, 1999
- “Sign Conceptions in Architecture and the Fine Arts from the 19th Century to the Present.” (in German and English) A Handbook on the Sign-Theoretic Foundations of Nature and Culture/ SEMIOTIK. Ein Handbuch zu den zeichentheoretischen Grundlagen von Natur und Kultur. Edited by Roland Posner, Klaus Robering, Thomas A. Sebeok. vol. 2, Berlin-New York: Walter de Gruyter, 1998: 1656-1694; First co-author (major) with Kenny Ng Kwok Kwan (Research Assistant)
- “On Hong Kong Architecture.” Cities on the Move. Secession, CapaMusée d’art contemporain de Bordeaux. Vienna: Hatje, 1997: 91
- “Contemporary Architecture in Hong Kong” (in Japanese) 581 Architects in the World. Miyake, Muramatsu & Fuchigami ed. Tokyo: Toto, 1995: 518-23
- “ICHNOGRAPHIA, ORTHOGRAPHIA, SCAENOGRAPHIA: an analysis of Cesare Cesariano’s illustrations of Milan Cathedral in his commentary of Vitruvius, 1521.” Knowledge and/or/of Experience. Macarthur [ed.]. Brisbane: Institute of Modern Art, 1993: 77-97
- Desmond Hui and Patrick Mok (2017), “《香港與大中華地區文化及創意產業發展白皮書》A White Paper on Developing the Cultural and Creative Industries in Hong Kong and the Greater China Region.”, Hong Kong: HK Association of Cultural Industries, Hang Seng Management College
- Seminar Speaker and Convenor, Seminar on the Impact of One Belt One Road Initiative of the Mainland on Cultural and Arts Development: Executive training for LCSD staff, 30 January, 2019, Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre.
- Convenor and Organizer, International Symposium on Augmented Reality Public Art 2018, LCSD Heritage Discovery Centre.
- Desmond Hui (2017), ““Analysis, Observations and Suggestions on the Mongolian Research for Developing a Practical Framework for Cultural and Creative Industries in Mongolia.””, National Roundtable Meeting on the Development of the Creative Sector in Mongolia. UNESCO. Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 20 October, 2017.
- Desmond Hui (2017), ““Transcultural Aesthetics in East Asia: Some Reflections from the Eight Views of Xiaoxiang.””, World Humanities Conference, Liege, Belgium, Aug 9, 2017.
- Desmond Hui, “Final report on the technical advisory services rendered in Mongolia including final recommendations for strategy development, 2017.”, UNESCO/ROK Funds-in-Trust project “Creative Industries Development for the Diversity of Cultural Expressions – Strengthening the Sustainability of Creative Industry in Mongolia (Phase III): Developing a Practical Framework for Culture-Based Innovative Creative Industries in Mongolia (2016-17)”
- Conference presentation (2016), UNESCO Creative Cities Beijing Summit.
- Public Lecture, “Industrial Heritage of Kowloon East – Past and Future”, Heritage in Districts Public Lecture Series, HK Heritage Discovery Centre, November 14, 2015
- Theme Speaker, “Hong Kong Impossible? – Catalyzing Urban Changes through Culture”, Economies of Aesthetics Conference, Art Basel, European League of Institutes of the Arts, June 18, Basel, Switzerland, 2015
- Theme Speaker, “Industrial Heritage and Creative Economy”, International Conference Seville-Zurich-HK: Creative City and Public Space, University of Seville, May 25, Seville, Spain, 2015
- Keynote Speaker, “Understanding the Culture of Creative Clustering”, International Conference of Culture and Creativity,Chimei New Museum, Tainan, December 4, 2014
- Plenary Speaker, “Creative Clustering in the Age of Mobile Network”, CTIS (Culture Technology Innovation Symposium) 2014, Shenzhen University, Shenzhen, November 30, 2014
- Convenor (HK), City to City 2014 Conference(HK, Taipei, Shanghai, Shenzhen) on City Reading, Shenzhen, November 2-3, 2014
- Invited Panelist, “European and Global Cultures/ Perspectives on Architecture and the (Creative) Economy”, Public Workshop, Venice Biennale, Zurich University of the Arts, Venice, Italy, July 26, 2014
- Invited International Speaker, “Heritage and Creation of Place: HK” Heritage Exchange 2014 Conference, Heritage Lottery Fund, LSO St Luke’s, London, UK, July 14, 2014
- Public Lecture and Workshop, “Mapping Creative Industries, Creativity and Creative Clusters: HK Experience”, Creative Cebu Council, University of San Carlos, Cebu, the Philippines, June 23-24, 2014
- Invited Speaker, “Creative Cities and Cluster Initiatives in North Asia”, SEA Creative Cities Conference, Creative Chiang Mai, CMU & British Council, TCDC, Chiang Mai, Thailand, April 3, 2014
- Invited Speaker, “What is the Purpose of Public Art?” with Sir Antony Gormley, The Very HK Foundation, Maritime Museum, HK, March 25, 2014
- Invited Speaker, “The Dancing Column: Critique of Building as Critique of Culture and Development”, Critical Juncture: Joseph Rykwert Symposium, CICA, V&A Museum, London, UK, February 22, 2014
- Invited Speaker, “The HK Creativity Index”, UNESCO Workshop on Cultural Statistics, Thai Ministry of Culture, Thai National Statistics Office, British Council, UNESCO, Bangkok, November 11, 2013
- Plenary Speaker, “Public Art and Public Education – Aesthetics and Public Participation”, International Conference on Public Art by the Kaohsiung Rapid Transit Corporation, The National Sun Yat-sen University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, March 11-13, 2013
- Keynote address: “Creative Economy and Sustainable Regional Development” in International Research Conference on the Contribution of Sustainable Cultural Entrepreneurship, Utrecht School of the Arts, Utrecht, the Netherlands, March 22, 2012
- Keynote address: “Review of Recent History of Conservation of Heritage Buildings in HK” in International Seminar on the Conservation of the Heritage Built Environment, Osage Foundation, Hong Kong, March 17, 2012
- Invited plenary speaker: “The role of creative industries to boost development –from education to business”4th Global Forum of the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, Doha, Qatar, 11-13 December, 2011
- Keynote address: “Cultural Management as an Interdisciplinary Model of Education in Creative Industries” in Global Education Conference on Creative Industries Shanghai 2011, Shanghai Theatre Academy, Shanghai, China, December 3, 2011
- Keynote address: “The Politics of World Heritage” in the Expert Conference on the Conservation of Cultural Heritage in Kinmen, Department of Cultural Affairs, Kinmen, Taiwan, November 26, 2011
- Keynote address: “West Kowloon Cultural District and its impacts” inInternational Symposium on Culture, Creativity and City Marketing, China University of Technology, Taipei, Taiwan, April 29, 2011
- Invited speaker, “Creative clusters as national and urban economic growth model” in Creative Cities and Industries in the 21st Century International Symposium(2010 European Capital of Culture program), Yildiz Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey, November 11-12, 2010
- Invited speaker, “Conservation and revitalization of heritage and the cultural and creative economy” in International Conference on the conservation and reuse of cultural and industrial heritage, Taipei County Government and the Council for Cultural Affairs, Executive Yuan, China University Technology, Taipei, Taiwan, October 28-30, 2010
- Invited speaker, “Cultural and creative clusters as sites of service innovation” in 2010 International Conference on Service Science and Innovation(ICSSI), Beijing, China, August 9-10, 2010
- Invited plenary speaker, “Place Activation: transforming public spaces through creativity. The Role of arts and creative industries” creative³ International Forum, Queensland State Library, Queensland, Australia, April 15, 2010
- Invited plenary speaker, “Building the Creative Environment: perspective from Hong Kong” Forum on Creative Environment: China and East Asia, Queensland University of Technology, Queensland, Australia, April 16, 2010
- CCI1001 Introduction to Management of Cultural and Creative Industries
- CCI2101 Western Art and Architecture